Obtaining Your PEN

If you attended a BC K-12 school since 1993, or wrote a provincial exam since 1986, you may obtain your PEN from:

  • Your current, most recent or graduating school.
  • The school where you wrote your most recent provincial exam.
  • The top right hand corner of your Official Ministry transcript.
  • If you attended a BC Public Post-Secondary Institution since 1998, you MAY have a PEN. To obtain your PEN contact that institution's records department.

Students in BC K-12 schools or post-secondary institutions prior to these dates do not have Personal Education Numbers. The Student will be assigned a Personal Education Number by their next school of attendance.

Due to Freedom of Information and the Protection of Privacy Act the ministry cannot provide a PEN to students over the phone or by email.

If you cannot locate your PEN using one of the above methods, the ministry can search for your PEN. Complete the following form and fax or mail it to the ministry. The form may also be scanned and forwarded to the ministry by email as long as it contains the students signature.

Student PEN Request Form (PDF, 63KB)