Grade 12 Provincial Examination Specifications
2016/17 Exam Specifications - Effective September 2016 through August 2017.
Changes and Revisions
- There are no changes to the exam specifcations this year.
The Table of Specifications and Description of Examination (PDF) show teachers and students how the English 12 curriculum will be tested on provincial examinations.
- The Provincial examination represents 40% of the student's final letter grade and the classroom mark represents 60%.
There may be a difference between school marks and provincial examination marks for individual students. Some students perform better on classroom tests and others on provincial examinations. School assessment measures performance on all curricular outcomes, whereas provincial examinations may evaluate performance on only a sample of these outcomes.
Reading Categories (PDF) provide a description of each reading category.
Curriculum Connections (PDF) links to the prescribed learning outcomes for English 12
A Key Words (PDF) list is provided to help students read, analyze and respond to written-response or short-answer questions.
Terms and Devices (PDF) provides a list of examinable terms relating to literary and stylistic forms and devices.
Scoring Guides (PDF) show the holistic scoring guides.
Sample Passages and Questions (PDF) illustrate the types of questions students may need to answer.
- Sample Response Booklet (PDF) shows the page lay-out of the booklet for students' answers to written-response questions.
- Sample and Released Examinations show the format of an examination and the balance of questions across the curriculum organizers.
- Student Samples show scored student responses for some of the sample passages and questions and some of the questions on released exams.
The Edudata Report provides item-level analysis for multiple-choice questions in the June examination.