BC Performance Standards
Performance Standards Revision Projects
The Numeracy Performance Standards are currently being revised. Educators who are interested in providing input can participate in the Numeracy Revision Project.
The Reading and Writing Performance Standards will be revised to include grades 11 and 12. This work will take place within the broader context of change focussed on personalized learning. Information for participation will be posted here at a later date.
The BC Performance Standards have been developed for voluntary use in B.C. schools. They describe the professional judgments of a significant number of B.C. educators about standards and expectations for the following key areas of learning:
- Reading (English, French Immersion and Francophone)
- Writing (English, French Immersion and Francophone)
- Numeracy (English and French Immersion/Francophone)
- Social Responsibility (English and French Immersion/Francophone)
- Information and Communications Technology Integration (ICTI)
- Healthy Living
- Ordering Information
The standards focus exclusively on performance assessment. In performance assessment students are asked to apply the skills and concepts they have learned to complete complex, realistic tasks. This type of assessment supports a criterion-referenced approach to evaluation and enables teachers, students, and parents to compare student performance to provincial standards.
The BC Performance Standards are intended as a resource to support ongoing instruction and assessment. Teachers can use these standards to:
- monitor, evaluate, and report on individual student performance
- identify students who may benefit from intervention
- develop a profile of a class or group of students to support instructional decision-making
- prompt discussions with parents, students, and other teachers about student performance
- inform professional development activities
- collaboratively set goals for individuals, classes, or schools
- develop evidence for school growth plans
- provide models for designing performance tasks
Using the Performance Standards
Performance standards describe levels of achievement in key areas of learning. Performance standards answer the questions:
The BC Performance Standards describe and illustrate four levels of student performance in terms of prescribed learning outcomes relevant to the key areas of reading, writing, numeracy, social responsibility and information and communication technology. More...
The BC Performance Standards can be used to help plan instruction, they can also contribute to a comprehensive assessment and evaluation system. More...