Sports Program Questions and Answers
Q: Can a student be given external sport credits for participation in local community or school sporting events and competitions?
- No, High school and community club sports programs are not eligible for inclusion in the External Sport Credentials Program as they do not meet organizational eligibility standards and minimum high performance sport criteria.
Q: Can a student use an external sport credit to receive credit for Physical Education 10?
- No, external sport credentials are elective credits and cannot be used to substitute for required courses such as Physical Education 10.
Q: If a student participates in the Northern BC Winter Games or the BC Disability Games can they receive an external sport credit?
- Participation at the Northern BC Winter Games and BC Disability Games is not recognized since there are no selection or qualifying requirements for these games.
Q: What is required of the student for the school to issue external sport credits?
- Students seeking credits for a sport course or program are required to present specific documentation as proof of participation or completion. All letters and certificates must be on the Provincial Sport Organization’s or Ministry letterhead and include the student’s name, sport program, category and level of credit. Please visit the “Eligibility Standards and Program/Category Definitions” for the applicable category: Athlete or Coach or Official to obtain specific information on the documentation required.
Q: Can a student earn multiple external sport credits at the same level if they compete in a sport program for more than one year or they compete in more than one sport at the same level?
- No, once a student has received credit for a particular level within the Athlete, Official, or Coach categories, they cannot receive additional credits for duplicate participation. For example, an athlete who has earned credits for Athlete 12 by being selected and competing on a provincial team cannot receive an additional 4 credits for Athlete 12 if they have progressed and been selected and competed on a national team. A student can only receive credit for Athlete 12 once. As well, you cannot receive additional credit for the same category level if you have met the standards and criteria in more than one sport.
Q: Why is my sport not included as an eligible External Credential Sport course credit?
Comments, Questions, Organization contact updates? Please email Milena.Gaiga@gov.bc.ca.