Grade 10 Provincial Examination Specifications
2007/08 Exam Specifications - Effective September 2007 through August 2008.
Changes and Revisions
Refer to the 2007/08 General Examination Information for important information regarding general changes to provincial examinations.
- Beginning in January 2005, the Science 10 Provincial Examination became a mandated part of a student's graduation requirements. The provincial examination represents 20% of the student's final letter grade and the classroom mark represents 80%.
The Table of Specifications (44 KB) shows teachers and students how the Science 10 curriculum will be tested on provincial examinations. The Table of Specifications provides percentage weightings for each of the curriculum organizers and the relative weighting of each cognitive level.
It is expected that there will be a difference between school marks and provincial examination marks for individual students. Some students perform better on classroom tests and others on provincial examinations. School assessment measures performance on all curricular outcomes, whereas provincial examinations may only evaluate performance on a sample of these outcomes.
Students will require the use of a calculator. Aside from an approved calculator, electronic devices are not permitted in the examination room.
Cognitive Levels provide a description of what each cognitive level means.
- Curriculum Connections (78 KB) provide a list of the examined Prescribed Learning Outcomes. Because the Science 8 - 10 Integrated Resource Package, 1996 states, "An application introduced at a particular grade level is not limited to that grade level," some Applications of Science outcomes from grade 8 and 9 have been included. The following Prescribed Learning Outcomes have been elaborated upon to describe how they apply to the examination
- Exemplars for Question Styles (130 KB) illustrate the types of questions students may need to answer.
- A Vocabulary List (102 KB) provides some common science terms which may be used in context in the wording of questions on the Provincial Science 10 examinations.
- Ministry calculator policy (69 KB)
- Sample and Released Examinations show the format of an examination and the balance of questions across the curriculum organizers.