Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA) - Specifications
- Refer to the FSA Updates regarding general information for the Foundation Skills Assessment
- The Table of Specifications (PDF, 34KB) provides information on how the Grade 4 foundation skills will be assessed. The Table of Specifications provides weightings for sub-categories within Reading, Writing and Numeracy.
FSA is based on a sampling of the foundation skills students have learned developmentally and cumulatively.
FSA has been developed to reflect a Grade 4 mid-year profile. In Reading and Writing, the materials and the questions are selected for mid-year performance.
The Grade 4 Numeracy assesses learning outcomes up to mid-year in Grade 4. Since the math curriculum for Grade 4 may be taught in a different order in different schools, the assessment does not include any brand new concepts from the Grade 4 curriculum.
Generally, if a concept has been introduced in Grades 2/3 and is expanded upon in Grade 4, the concept is considered to be valid for inclusion on the assessment. The Number strand is a major area for learning in Grade 4. Up to 45% of the Grade 4 Numeracy questions may assess the Number learning outcomes.
- Description (PDF, 30KB) of the Assessment provides information on the assessment components and process.
- FSA Categories (PDF, 98KB) provide a description of the Reading Category, Writing Category, and Numeracy Strands.
- FSA Scoring Guide (PDF, 552KB) provides information about holistic scoring for Reading , Writing and Numeracy.
- FSA Samples show the format of an assessment and the balance of questions across the curriculum organizers.